Crab cakes are one of the most delicious crab recipes to try. The sheer thought of a plate full of crab cakes makes people drool. Here, we will discuss what to serve with crab cakes while discussing this exotic seafood recipe.
Crab cakes are often referred to as one of the most beloved seafood delicacies ever. It is entirely due to its strong flavor and the incredible delicacy of fresh crabs.
Where to buy crab meat?
Crabs cakes are especially loved by the people from off the coast of South Atlantic and Mid-Atlantic locations. The dish is also trendy amongst the Gulf Coast, Northern California, and New England
Crabmeat is predominantly marketed as Maryland-style crab cake or simply Maryland crab cake obtained from Blue crabs.
Since these crabs are hard to catch, they are often substituted by Blue Swimmer Crabs. These crabs are cheaper and have a lower quality in terms of taste. These crabs are usually imported from Asia.
How to prepare crab meat?
There are many ways in which these crabs are prepared. This is why people often wonder what to serve with crab cakes. However, it will be easier to decide if you knew more about it.
There are three primary ways of preparing crabs. These include boiling, grilling/roasting, and steaming.
Crab cakes are prepared by boiling the crabs and removing their meat. This meat is then separated, minced, flavored, and packed for sale.
Have you ever tasted crab cakes? Imagine the soft mushy white meat melting in your mouth!
Ah! Although these salty cakes are often compared with chicken or steak, they are not at all similar. Since crabs are seafood, they have white meat. A lot goes into the preparation of the same as well.
How to make crab cakes?
Classic crab cake recipe
Here is the classic crab cake recipe to try. Once you make this, you can prepare the sides.
Ingredients for a crab cake recipe
To make this mouthwatering delicacy, you will need the following ingredients:
[table id=54 /]
- Take a small bowl and break an egg in it.
- Add mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and Dijon mustard and whip them together. Make sure the mixture is smooth and runny.
- In a separate bowl, add panko bread crumbs, parsley, and crab meat. Mix the ingredients well.
- Add the sauce mixture to the crab meat and gently mix the two.
- Then form small balls out of this mixture. You may also press them from both sides to form patties.
- Take a large pan and add oil to it. Once the oil is hot, place the patties on it. Fry each side for four to six minutes. However, if you prefer having crispier patties, you may fry them for a more extended period.
- Serve them out and squeeze a lemon on them. You may also enjoy a side of onion rings and tartar sauce.
- Calories: 815 kcal
- Fat: 36 grams
- Carbohydrates: 99 grams
- Protein: 26 grams
- Sugars: 8 grams
What sauce to eat with crab cakes?
What to serve with crab cakes will no longer be an issue after you read through this section.
Crab cakes are already intensely flavorful. By adding sauces to it, you can easily accentuate the blast of flavors in your mouth.
Here are a few sauces that you can pair with crab cakes:
Mayonnaise mustard sauce
Ingredients for Mayonnaise mustard sauce
To make this incredible sauce, you need the following ingredients:
[table id=55 /]
- Take a medium bowl and add Dijon mustard and mayonnaise to it. Add black pepper, salt, smoked paprika, and granulated sugar to it. Also, add minced garlic and parsley and give the mixture a whisk.
- Then use a hand blender to blend the mixture. Make sure the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Pour this sauce in a bowl and serve with warm crab cakes. Sprinkle some freshly chopped dill and enjoy!
Cajun Cream sauce
Your eternal matter of worry about what to serve with crab cakes will take a step back after knowing about this sauce. So, it would help if you tried this with crab cakes.
Ingredients for Cajun Cream sauce
It is known as the Cajun Cream sauce. To prepare this sauce, you will need the following ingredients:
[table id=56 /]
- Pour half a cup of mayonnaise, mustard, minced garlic, and chopped celery in a bowl. Gently mix the ingredients.
- Then add Cajun seasoning and the remaining ingredients in it and mix well.
- Use a hand blender to blend the mixture properly. Ensure that the mixture has a smooth consistency and is lump-free.
- Store this sauce in a bowl and refrigerate. Serve this sauce with warm fried crab cakes, and enjoy!
Pasta that goes with crab cakes
This is one of the best side dishes ever. If you ever feed your guests, they will instantly know what to serve with crab cakes.
Pasta with crab cakes
Crab cakes are interestingly pairable with numerous recipes of pasta. One of the most delicious and easy pasta that goes with crab cakes is as follows.
Broccoli Lemony Pasta
Ingredients for Broccoli lemony pasta
To make this pasta, you need the following ingredients:
[table id=57 /]
- Take a large pot and pour water into it.
- Set the pot on high heat and let it boil. Add a pinch of salt, lemon juice, and virgin olive oil to the water.
- On the other hand, take a large pan and put it on medium heat. Add butter and virgin olive oil. Pour the chopped broccoli and stir fry. Ensure that the broccoli is soft and tender.
- Then pour garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice on it. Gently stir until the mixture for a minute or two.
- Add heavy cream and let it simmer for a few minutes. Then add parmesan cheese to it.
- Strain the boiled pasta and pour it into the sauce. Sprinkle some salt and pepper according to taste. Then give the pasta a whisk.
- Add chopped basil and pine nuts, and serve hot! You can enjoy this pasta with a side of crab cake patties.
Salad to serve with crab cakes
Crab cakes and salad go together like butter and toast. What to serve with crab cakes is no worry at all if you have some veggies at home. Prepare a salad, and you’re good to go. Here are a few salads to serve with crab cakes that you can try.
This is one of the best salads to pair with crab cakes. The tangy roasted flavor of this salad can take your taste buds on a bumpy ride.
Ingredients for Mango salad
To prepare this mouthwatering delicious, you need the following ingredients:
[table id=58 /]
- Heat your grill on high for five minutes. Place the mangoes, tomatoes, onion, lemons, and jalapeno and roast for five minutes. Ensure to cook each vegetable to cook them properly separately.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and allow them to cool. Then peel the skin off of them and dice them well.
- Mince a garlic pod and chop some cilantro, about half a cup!
- Then take a deep bowl and add the freshly roasted and diced vegetables. Squeeze the grilled lemons and add pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper according to taste.
- Give this mixture a final whisk and serve. To get the most of it, pair this mouthwatering bowl with crispy crab meat or chips.
- Calories: 600 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 150 grams
- Protein: 13 grams
- Sugars: 112 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
Crab cakes with vegetables
This delicious and nutritious dish can be effectively paired with a side of vegetables. There are numerous crab cakes with vegetable recipes that you can try out.
All these recipes are healthy and easy to make. You no longer need to worry about guests; prepare crab cakes with vegetables, and you’re good to go. Some renowned recipes are as follows.
Chef John’s Succotash
This is America’s one of the oldest and underrated vegetable side dishes ever. This recipe is very healthy and easy to make. Despite sounding bland, the name Succotash has been derived from one of the Narragansett Indian words, ‘msickquatash.’ However, this delicious dish is almost at its edge of extinction. Nevertheless, you can still pair this delicacy and enjoy it.
Ingredients for Chef John’s Succotash
To make this, you will need the following ingredients:
[table id=59 /]
- Take a large pan and add butter and olive oil to it. Pour chopped onion and garlic into it and saute. When they turn golden, add jalapeno and red bell peppers to them. Mix it well and cover it with a lid.
- After three to five minutes, remove the lid and add black pepper, cayenne pepper, and tomatoes to the pan.
- Also, add beans, water, and zucchini to the mixture. Pour salt according to taste and cook it well.
- After five to seven minutes, add corn kernels and Lima beans to the mixture and let it cook for five more minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped basil and serve hot. You may also add salt if you want. To make the best of this dish, serve it with crab cakes and enjoy.
Pot of corn chowder
This side dish is incredibly filling. If you are confused about what to serve with crab cakes, this is it. If you have a large group of sudden guests, prepare this chowder and serve it with crab cakes.
Ingredients for a pot of corn chowder
This magical dish can make your guests go gaga. You can prepare this recipe within an hour. To make this, you need the following ingredients:
[table id=60 /]
- Preheat your oven for ten minutes at three hundred and fifty degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a microwave-safe pan, place the corn kernels and brush them with olive oil. Then roast them for twenty minutes at the same temperature.
- Take a large pot and add olive oil. Then add the chopped carrot, garlic, onion, and celery and saute. Allow the vegetables to become tender. You may place a lid to cook it faster.
- After five to ten minutes, add roasted corn, potatoes, corn cream, parsley, chicken broth, and light cream. Allow this mixture to reach a boil.
- Then take a separate smaller pan and place it on medium heat. Add butter and flour to it. Rigorously mix the ingredients and form a smooth paste. Ensure that the mixture is smooth. Keep constantly stirring for five minutes, and then turn off the heat.
- Then add this mixture to the pot and let it boil. You will notice how your broth thickens with time. Allow this mixture to thicken for about half an hour. You may not thicken it either. It is entirely dependent upon your taste and preferences.
We hope you liked this piece, and we hope you try out all the given recipes. We know that you will not be bothered about what to serve with crab cakes ever again once you go through this. Crab cakes are one of the most beautiful kinds of seafood ever. Therefore, you need to try it with all kinds of sides to enjoy the most of it.