In today’s society, there is a lot of pressure to get married young. However, as couples age, the age gap between them can become more acceptable. If the age difference is big, it could be considered creepy or inappropriate. Is this true? Is there any dating age gap formula? What is the appropriate age difference in dating? Let’s discover.
What is the max age difference for dating?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as people come in all different shapes and sizes with different preferences. Still, our expert Rowland Fields has his opinion on that.
Generally speaking, the older you are, the wider the age gap you can comfortably have in a relationship. So if you’re in your early twenties, it might be best to stick to dating people who are within a few years of your own age. But if you’re in your thirties or older, you can start to look at relationships with people who are up to ten years younger or older than you without too much concern.
Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule, and you should never be afraid to date someone who falls outside of the “normal” age range if you’re compatible and have a good connection. For example, mail order brides don’t look at the age gap as something problematic, so you can try dating them!
What to consider when counting appropriate age difference in dating?
There are several points to keep in mind while deciding about acceptable age difference in dating.
- Age of consent. This is the age at which a person is legally allowed to consent to sexual activity. In most countries, the age of consent is 18. However, in some countries, it is lower. So, it is important to check the age of consent in your country before making any assumptions.
- Life stages of the individuals in the relationship. Generally speaking, relationships between people in different life stages tend to be more challenging. For example, a relationship between a 20-year-old and a 30-year-old may be more complicated than a relationship between two 30-year-olds. This is not to say that relationships between people in different life stages are impossible, but they may face more misunderstandings.
- Feelings of the individuals in the relationship. If both people are happy and comfortable with the age difference, then there is no problem. However, if one person is uncomfortable with the age difference, then this is a sign that the relationship may not be sustainable.
Is there any dating age gap formula?
Dating experts made various assumptions about the appropriate age gap for dating. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- 2.5 years. According to a study by Emory University, the ideal age gap is two years and six months. Couples with this much of a gap between them are more likely to report being satisfied with their relationship.
- 5 years. According to a study by McGill University, couples with a five-year age gap are 18% more likely to get divorced than couples of the same age. This is because as we get older, our needs and wants change. If you’re on two different pages, it can be difficult to make the relationship work.
- Half of your age plus seven. This formula of a normal age gap for dating is suitable for couples with a significant age difference.
People have different opinions on what is an acceptable age difference between couples. Some people believe that any age difference is unacceptable. In contrast, others believe there is no problem with a significant age difference as long as both parties are happy and consenting adults. Ultimately, it is up to the couple to decide what is comfortable for them.